Payne Law Firm, LLC can take care of all of your real estate closing needs.  Generally, a closing attorney performs many time consuming tasks and document preparation when handling a transaction from intake to closing.  Payne Law Firm, LLC has handled a substantial amount of real estate closings, and is extremely well-versed in preparing for and executing closings.  Let us take the worry and stress off of your shoulders by handling your closing in the most expedient, professional way possible.


Do I need an attorney when I am buying or selling real estate located in South Carolina?

Yes. Conducting real estate closings in South Carolina is considered the practice of law. A residential purchaser obtaining real property located in SC through financing is required to have a closing be conducted by an attorney licensed in SC. You have the right to choose which attorney you would like to represent you in the transaction. Often, attorneys in South Carolina represent both the buyers and the sellers in the same transaction. Your lender cannot force you to use an attorney a specific attorney in residential closings. It is a violation of South Carolina law if the lender fails to ask you which attorney you would like to use for your closing.

Why should I select Payne Law Firm, LLC to represent me in my closing?

Our office has years of experience in conducting and closing real estate transactions. Closings happen on time, and are conducted in a fun and relaxed environment. We explain all of the documents to you in a simple, straightforward manner. Moreover, our fees are reasonable and our service is unrivaled.

What do I need to bring to closing?

You will need to bring current government-issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license, passport, or military ID. If you are the buyer, your funds must be in the form of an official bank check, certified check, cashier’s check, or money order (or wire transfer, or even cash), made payable to the trust account of the closing attorney. If you are the seller, you will bring the keys to the property to the closing.

I am married. Must both my spouse and I attend closing?

It depends on whether you are both on the title to real estate. Any person with an ownership interest in the property must attend the closing or must have someone sign the closing documents with a power of attorney on their behalf. This applies even if the person has an ownership interest but will not be a borrower on the note.

Will a Power of Attorney work for closing?

Executing a Limited Power of Attorney to sign on another person’s behalf for the closing is common if circumstances prevent a party from being physically present at the closing. Different states have different requirements for powers of attorney to be effective as well as different recording requirements. Our firm can prepare the power of attorney to ensure it will meet the requirements of South Carolina law. Likewise, if a durable power of attorney is recorded on file in the county in which someone is purchasing real property and the POA authorizes the attorney to purchase real estate on behalf of the principal, that is acceptable as well.